Last week Alex was laid off. It was a new job he was hoping would turn into a new career in construction. He was learning building skills in preparation to learn to be a project manager. The contractor had 4-5 jobs lined up in September but one by one, they all decided that the economy was too unstable to go through with their plans. For the first time ever, this contractor had to report all his employees for unemployment. Needless to say, we are pretty upset. The job market is poor right now unless you want to work for $8.00 an hour or you are highly skilled.
We also found out a friend has bone cancer so I'm waiting for the final blow. Will it be a car break-down or the furnace goes out? I'm prepared cuz I know if it'll happen, it will happen to me. I'm living a Murphy's Law life.
Friday, my company gave away $25,000 in cash and prizes. I couldn't even dare hope to win (and I didn't) but it really hurt my Christmas spirit. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be working for a company that can afford to give away $25,000. It really means job security for me. I know that many people are in worse shape than us BUT it stings none the less.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Kristine,
If Alex is looking for something part-time for now, I am hiring at my store. Let me know.
Eileen
Post a Comment